That's me, Pattie Weiss Levy.

This site  The Web 

A Modern-Day "Ima"
on a Modern-Day Bimah
(With new content posted every WEEK!)

Archive Newer | Older

Friday, July 25, 2014

A Word From the Weiss

Pattie with Star of Davidpendant.JPG        Although this may be a fundamentally Jewish web site, I don’t make it a habit to write that much about religion. I also make it a point not to write anything about politics. That stuff is too apt to be divisive, and you must get more than enough of it elsewhere. But that was before World War III practically broke out right in my kitchen this week.
Allow me to explain.
It had been a rather hectic, but also lively and resoundingly lovely weekend. My husband and I spent most of it entertaining some very good friends from out of town. Well, they live out of town now, anyway We became close friends with them back when they were living here for many years, before they moved to Minneapolis in 1998.Jake and Doreen.jpg
But the fact that they had lived here made it a bit challenging to entertain them over the course of an entire weekend. It wouldn’t work to take them to the few sites that Central Connecticut has to offer, like the Mark Twain House or the Hill-Stead Museum. Or to make a field trip to Mystic Seaport. They had seen and done all that long ago.
During the days before they arrived, our mutual good friends Lois and Rafi, with whom our friends Jake and Doreen would be staying, joined us in a valiant attempt to come up with cultural and recreational diversions sufficient to fill a four-day weekend.Samuel Colt.jpg
There was a celebration of the 200th birthday of Samuel Colt, founder of the famed Hartford-based firearms company, including a daylong festival, concert by the Governor’s Foot Guard Band, and evening dinner dance. But this took place on Saturday, when our visitors would be attending a wedding (the main purpose of their visit).Marion Meadows at Greater Hartford Jazz Fest.jpg
There was also the 23rd annual Greater Hartford Festival of Jazz, featuring a dozen performances over three days and nights. But our friends are not major jazz fans, and I wasn’t convinced that they’d want to spend hours sitting on a blanket in a crowded park listening to The Urban Jazz Coalition or La Orquesta Espada.Wish I Was Here.jpg
We read countless movie reviews, hoping that a film might help liven at least one night. But summer cinematic fare tends to be targeted less toward people of our vintage than the out-of-school crowd. And the few films we truly wanted to see – including Boyhood, Wish I Was Here, and The Hundred-Foot Journey – hadn’t opened yet.
With sunny skies looming in the forecast, I emailed our friends proposing that they pack swimsuits in order to spend an afternoon at our club, unless they had no interest. Jake, an exercise fanatic, instantly responded that this sounded great to him.
Doreen wrote back too. She couldn’t wait to hang out with us. As for swimming, she had no interest.Dinner out with Jake, Doreen, Rafi and Lois.JPG
The upshot was that we didn’t do anything terribly ambitious, but that didn’t matter. The six of us went out for wonderful dinners on two of the nights. Lois and Rafi prepared a phenomenal feast on a third evening, and on Sunday night my husband and I hosted everyone for a barbecue, complete with hefty hors d’oeuvres, good wine, and Prosecco.
For the truth is that when you’re with good friends, that’s more than good enough. Drinking good wine can help enhance the joy. But who really needs entertainment?
Then again, over four days and nights, there was a lot of togetherness and a lot of conversation, which can be tiring in its own way. For, to be perfectly honest, when I spend that extended a period of time with other people, I often worry that they will begin to notice that I’m a little nuts. I believe that I’m nice, and a good friend, but also a little nuts.
So perhaps it wasn’t ideal timing that another good friend phoned to say that he’d be passing through town and to ask if he could stay over with us the night that they left.Jay.jpg
Jay, who had gone to Princeton with my husband, is the gifted sculptor who created, among many other things, the large piece in our back yard entitled Swinging Jenny. He needed to transport some of his work from a foundry in Pennsylvania home to Martha’s Vineyard. He would arrive too late to make the last ferry. Our home was along the way.Jay's sculpture Swinging Jenny.JPG
Of course he could stay, we told him. We also invited him to join us and our friends for dinner out on Monday, our last night together, but he said that he couldn’t make it.
Instead, he arrived only moments before we returned from that dinner at 9:45 p.m. We got home to find his car in our driveway, a massive sculpture on the trailer attached.Jay's sculpture on trailer.JPG
Boy, was I beat! After four days of company, I must confess, I was also ready for some down time. But I offered to cook him some dinner, and hearing that he’d already eaten, I served him dessert -- ice cream in a wide variety of flavors instead. Then we sat around talking until midnight, when my husband admitted that he still had a story to write for his newspaper.
That kept us up well past 1.
But I still set an alarm to get up early the next morning. Jay needed to make an early afternoon ferry from Woods Hole on Cape Cod, a good three hours’ drive from us. He planned to leave by 9, and I wanted to cook him a nice breakfast and see him off.Jay and Harlan.JPG
After all, Jay and his wonderful wife Marianne have put us up on the Vineyard more times than I can count over the years and have always been consummate hosts. Besides, he’s a very good friend, someone my husband has known for over 50 years.
I should also note that Jay is kind of a character. What you might call "a free spirit." You might also say he’s unconventional. I’d say he’s someone who has always done whatever he wanted to do whenever he wanted to do it. He’s also someone who tends to say whatever he wants to say whenever he wants to say it. And at 70, he still does.
I found him down in our kitchen at 8 the next morning already dressed in a t-shirt. Still in my nightgown (why would he care?), I groggily began poaching him some eggs.Jay playing guitar.JPG
All the while, he chatted with my husband and me, advising us about our upcoming trip to Hong Kong, since he often visits Asia to have sculptures cast at a foundry there.
Then, as I popped his English muffin into the toaster, he broached another subject, completely out of the blue.
“What do you guys think of the situation in Gaza?” he asked.
I said the first thing that came into my head, which was the first thing that I’d said when we’d discussed this over the weekend with our old friends, all of whom are Jews. (Jay, in case you were wondering, is Gentile.)
“I’m very distressed about the way it’s being portrayed in the media,” I replied.
“I know!” he concurred heartily. “The news is so pro-Israel!”Bombing of Gaza.jpg
Was he kidding? What news was he listening to? I looked at him dumbfounded and countered that to me it was exactly the opposite. Every news story seemed to start off with the plight of innocent Palestinian children who’d gotten caught in the crossfire.
But he begged to differ. To him, the Palestinians were the ones getting short shrift.
“But… don’t you see?” I asked. There were no Israeli suicide bombers.
        No Israeli terrorists.
        They were just defending their borders.
        “The Israelis are not the aggressors,” I said.
“Not the aggressors?” he practically howled. “There’s like one Israeli soldier dead and hundreds of Palestinians. How can you possibly say they’re not the aggressors?”
And I thought, “Are you kidding? How can you possibly come into my home, eat my food, sleep in one of my beds, and then tell me that you are against the Jews?”
For wasn’t that, in essence, what he was saying? Saying, in essence, to me?
And hearing this, I was so upset that I lost all sense of self-control and decorum.Poached egg with berries.jpg
“You know what?” I barked. “Just go! Really! Just… go!” Then I slammed down the plate on which I had just finished carefully arranging some fresh berries beside his eggs, stormed upstairs, and shut the door loudly enough to reverberate throughout the house.
About five minutes later, my husband came upstairs and said that Jay was leaving. He also said that Jay was stunned and insisted that he had not intended to upset me. Wasn’t I going to come down and say goodbye?
I had no desire to. But he persuaded me to go down anyway. I was halfway down the stairs when I saw Jay’s car pass on our street, that trailer with the big sculpture in tow.
So it appeared that our abrupt and very heated altercation was abruptly over.
But the battle with my husband had just begun. He soon left for work, but the conflict continued via a series of text messages that we exchanged throughout the day.
He readily admitted that his old friend was something of an instigator, a “devil’s advocate” who had long delighted in saying inflammatory things just to provoke people.
        “It’s an instinct I’ve observed for decades,” he said.He said.jpg
Yet he was frustrated with me for leaving rather than staying to hash out the issue. “Running away… no matter how obnoxious Jay’s comments were… is disappointing and eliminates any chance at furthering understanding of this complex issue,” he wrote.
        He also felt that I’d missed an opportunity to potentially enlighten our old friend. “You could have changed his opinion, or given him a chance to do so,” he said. “Now there’s nothing.”
On the contrary, the only opportunity that I believed I’d missed was to be offended even further. My husband, who takes an avid interest in politics, should have known how entrenched his old friend’s own opinions doubtlessly were.
“I don’t believe it’s possible in most situations to change people’s minds about such politically charged issues,” I wrote. “Is there anything that anyone could say to persuade you to become a Tea Party member? A Republican? A racist?”She said.jpg
I also didn’t believe Jay had inquired out of any genuine desire to be enlightened. Or merely to make idle conversation. “He was either looking for trouble and/or clearly didn’t give a single moment’s thought to how offensive his remarks would be,” I added.
As for discussing this complex issue in depth, Jay had been just about to leave to catch his ferry. “There was no time to change his opinion while he ate an egg!” I said.
        And s
peaking of his departure, that was also troubling. If he’d been so distraught about upsetting me, wouldn’t he have stayed to apologize, rather than driving off?
But what troubled me most by far was something else – the dreadful aftermath. “The sad thing is that he’s gone,” I wrote. “But you and I are still here and now fighting!”Harlan was annoyed.JPG
My husband said he wasn’t fighting. But what he said sure sounded like fighting words.
“You’re blaming me for Jay’s insensitivity!” he wrote.
“I am blaming you for YOUR insensitivity!” I countered. Perhaps it was impossible to achieve peace in the Middle East, but nothing my husband was saying now was helping to further the prospects of restoring peace at home. If he wanted to settle the matter, then he needed to stop telling me what I should have done instead of what I had done.
Speaking of which, let’s not forget all that I had done. “I hosted your old friend after we’d had company for four days. I got up early and made him breakfast. I should not have had to listen to such gratuitously offensive words at 8:30 a.m. in my own kitchen!”
Of course, I was not proud of everything I’d done. Never in my life could I recall having asked a guest to leave my home. Then again, never had I felt so under attack.
In fact, I sensed that it might be fair to say there was an ironic parallel here.I felt like I was under attack.JPG
“I feel like he was the clear aggressor,” I said. “I was just fending off an assault within my own borders, and now you keep asking me to defend my own actions. How crazy is that?”
Hearing this, my husband admitted that he understood my reaction. “I just wish that we could talk about the whole Israel-Palestinian situation so that we could get to an intelligent opinion about this almost impossible-to-solve Middle East problem,” he wrote.
“Here is my intelligent opinion,” I retorted. “Don’t go visit Jews (especially nice Jewish bloggers) and tell them that Israel is wrong and the Palestinians are right!”
        Yes, as an American, and a former journalist, I’m fundamentally in favor of free speech. But as a human, and a nice Jewish mom, I’m also in favor of decency and diplomacy, and I especially think you need to be considerate of other people’s feelings.
Particularly when they are busy cooking you poached eggs in their own kitchen.
But the honest truth is that I also now wish I could take my explosive reaction back.Jay dancing with me at reunion.JPG
Searching for a photo of Jay to show you, I found pictures of us dancing together at the last college reunion we attended, and I must confess it made me very sad.
So I wish that I could turn back time, and that when he asked that morning what I thought of the situation in Gaza, I could have said, “What do you think I think? I’m a Jew!”
But I guess I was exhausted, so maybe I overreacted just a little bit by telling him to get out of my house. Instead, I could have said, “Listen, I don’t think we should discuss this right now, because it’s 8:30 a.m., and you don’t know what the heck you’re talking about, and I am a Jew, as you well know  – a Jew who writes a Jewish blog – and if you say one more word, I may have to ask you to get the f--- out of my house!”
Or something along those lines.
        Meanwhile, yesterday, seeking sympathy and other alternatives, I phoned several friends – all of them Jews, I will admit – to get their own reactions.Suzanne.jpg
One, Suzanne, understood my sentiments, but tried to calm me down with humor. Forget about my sense of betrayal on the part of my husband. She was less interested in discussing Benedict Arnold than Eggs Benedict. How could I have served someone naked poached eggs on an English muffin without smothering them in Hollandaise sauce?Eggs Benedict.jpg
I countered that I’d actually melted cheese on top, but was trying to offer a healthy breakfast by adding a side of fruit. In fact, I’d been about to take out the blueberries when Jay had brought up Gaza right between the strawberries and raspberries.
“Well, then it’s his loss of antioxidants,” she quipped.
My friend Liz was more serious and preoccupied with rising anti-Israel sentiments. She shared my pain and outrage, she said, having been alarmed in recent weeks to see friends posting pictures on Facebook “that make Israel really look like the bad guys.”Liz.jpg
She went on to add something that made me wish she’d been at breakfast with us. (I would’ve made Hollandaise to slather on her eggs, despite the perils of cholesterol.)
“I understand your rage and admire it,” she said. “I don’t know if I would have kicked him out, but I have my tirade, which goes like this:No more.jpg
“If you’re tormented for 2,000 years and then technology finally allows your enemies to kill you on a massive scale, then you reach a point where you say ‘NO MORE!’ You say ‘No more!’ even if someone throws a rock at you or just gives you a dirty look. You make a decision – now that you have land under your feet that you own – that NO one will f---ing hurt you ever again. And that is why racism and anti-Semitism backfire, because eventually people can’t take it anymore, and they fight back.”
The unfortunate thing is that the Israelis are now so keenly effective at fighting back that their fending off Hamas and the like makes them look like a bunch of bullies.
Another unfortunate thing (among the countless unfortunate things in this brutal, ongoing debacle) is that Hamas, the extremist group that now governs the Palestinians, chooses to conceal bombs and weapons in schools, hospitals, and other public places and to use innocent people, including women and children, as human shields.Hamas terror tunnels.jpg
It also chooses to use its increasingly limited resources to wage war rather than attempting to improve the lives of its increasingly desperate citizens. As The New York Times noted on July 22, “…this conflict has demonstrated that while Hamas governed over 1.7 million people mired in poverty, its leaders were pouring resources into its military and expanding its ability to fight Israel.” A key example: “Hamas was importing tons of cement – desperately needed for Gazan schools and houses and construction jobs – to reinforce the tunnels it built to infiltrate Israel and hide its weapons.”
OK, I’m no expert. I don’t claim to be. Not that even the experts have any real solution.
Besides, the history of this conflict is too mind-bogglingly complex to rehash here, let alone over a rushed breakfast.Dennis Prager.jpg
Or is it? As Dennis Prager, a well-known Jewish author, columnist, and nationally syndicated radio host, contends in a widely posted video, this may be the world's hardest conflict to solve, “but it is probably the easiest to explain.”
“In a nutshell, it’s this,” states Prager (whose conservative political perspective, I just want to point out, is not something that I personally share). “One side wants the other side dead. Israel wants to exist as a Jewish state and to live in peace. Israel also recognizes the right of Palestinians to have their own state and to live in peace.”Israel and its neighbors.jpg
The problem is that this sentiment is anything but reciprocal. There are 22 Arab states in the world and only one little Jewish state, he says, which is about the size of New Jersey. And most Palestinians, along with other Muslims and Arabs, refuse to recognize the right of Israel to exist. Instead, they’ve been trying to obliterate it ever since the United Nations voted to divide the land then called Palestine into a Jewish state and an Arab one back in 1947.
He also hastens to point out that Israel returned the Sinai Peninsula – a huge hunk of land that was replete with oil -- to Egypt back in 1978, after Egypt signed a peace agreement with Israel. And that it has long been prepared to follow suit with the Palestinians, as it proposed to do in 2000, but instead “the Palestinian leadership responded by sending waves of suicide terrorists into Israel.”
And so the simple-to-explain but impossible-to-solve situation continues to this day.
Then there’s the take of Dennis Miller, which has been circulating online for years. Here's what the former SNL comedian (who is NOT Jewish) had to say in part in his own rant.DennisMiller.jpg
“Chew this around and spit it out: Five hundred million Arabs; five million Jews… Just reverse the numbers. Imagine five hundred million Jews and five million Arabs. I was stunned at the simple brilliance of it. Can anyone picture the Jews strapping belts of razor blades and dynamite to themselves?  Of course not. Or marshaling every fiber and force at their disposal for generations to drive a tiny Arab state into the sea? Nonsense.
Or dancing for joy at the murder of innocents? Impossible.
No, as you know, left to themselves in a world of peace, the worst Jews would ever do to people is debate them to death.”
        Hmmm. I suppose the past two weeks have proven that in a world not at peace, the Jews are capable of much, much more. Also, things have heated up too much lately to make light of this issue.
        And in the end
, I don’t really want to debate anyone to death. Not even our good friend Jay.
        In fact, a few days after he left, I received a thank-you note from him.
        "Thank you for your hospitality," he wrote. "I am sorry my comment about current events upset you."
        His comment about "current events?"
        I was happy to receive his card, however succinct it might have been. Yet it mostly highlighted to me how little he grasps how personally I take the turmoil, and how close to home it hits.Pattie and Latke with Chanukah menorah.jpg
It’s just that I’m a Jew. I may not keep kosher. I may not strictly observe Shabbat. I may not even have been to Israel in over 40 years.
But I will always be a Jew, through and through, and I will always support Israel.
I’m certainly not saying that I blindly agree with everything the Israelis may do. There’s no question that I’m horrified to see reports of Palestinian civilians, particularly women and children, being killed in this dreadful conflict. Horrified? No, I’m sickened. As Liz also said to me, “I hate weaponry of all kinds, and I hate war.” I couldn’t agree more.peace dove.jpg
I hope more than anything that someone, somehow, can come up with a solution. Soon. Not so that Jay and I can patch things up and continue to visit one another, although that would be nice. No, just so the bloodshed on all sides can come to a swift end.
In the meanwhile, if I’ve said anything offensive enough to make you throw me out of your house, or stop reading my blog, so be it. Next week, I promise to return you to your regularly scheduled program – that is, my usual personal, non-political rant. Meanwhile, I’ll try to chill out and rest up before I lose any readers.
        Or any more good friends.
1:28 am 

Friday, July 18, 2014

A Word From the Weiss
Pattie and Harlan at their wedding 1984.JPG
        Forget “To be or not to be.” The words my father spoke were “Is she coming out?” Then my fiancé asked it, too. The date was July 15, 1984, and that was the question.
Standing in my tiny dressing room, swathed in white from tulle veil to pointy toe, I’d suddenly had a panic attack. Or maybe my mother had hocked me one too many times. All I know is that there were over 150 guests waiting to see me in my strapless gown. They would have to wait a little longer. Was I coming out? To tie the knot? I thought not.
But then someone must have talked some sense into me because apparently I did. I walked down the aisle. The groom stepped on the glass. Everyone drank Champagne.Pattie walking down the aisle.JPG
        So one wedding, two kids, and three decades later, that fiancé (now husband) and I set out last weekend to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. But now the question was neither “To be or not to be?” nor “Is she coming out?” We were down to one word.
We had agreed to postpone any major travel until we go visit our daughter in Hong Kong this fall. (It seemed silly to go now, at the height of the tourist and typhoon seasons.) But after surviving 30 years together, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, we had to do something special.Pattie and Harlan at Frankie's in Lenox.JPG
It seemed that what we were supposed to do was something outside our normal routine. Like go to a romantic inn in the country and gaze into each other’s eyes. But pleeeeze. After 30 years, we had seen each other’s eyes plenty. Also, after 30 years, figuring out what my husband and I will enjoy didn’t require a whole lot of guesswork. I knew that sitting in the country, we probably would be bored out of our minds.
Our normal routine when we’re looking for fun and excitement is to go into NYC. And although we already do that plenty, why mess with success? There was, however, one break from the usual that seemed imperative for the occasion. For our anniversary, there would be no economizing by settling for a cheap chain hotel in Long Island City.
Fuhgeddaboutit, I told my husband. On the night of our wedding, being ever-frugal, he had booked our usual home away from home – a very Spartan, dorm-like room at the Princeton Club – motivating several of his friends to chip in and get us a room at the United Nations Plaza instead. This time I was taking matters into my own hands.
        After all, i
f there were ever a time in our lives to kick it up a notch or two, this was it.Mondrian Soho lobby.JPG
Knowing how much Nice Jewish Dad enjoys perusing the trendy shops and art galleries in Soho, I chose what looked to be extremely hip and posh accommodations down there: the Mondrian Soho, run by the Morgans Hotel Group, which also owns what may be the true height of hipness, the fabulously stylish Delano in Miami Beach.The Delano exterior.jpg
After checking the prices on various web sites, from Hotwire to Hotels.com, I called the hotel itself and learned that they had a very decent special “Seasonal Offer.” This entitled us to free Wifi, a complimentary continental breakfast buffet, and a room upgrade if one were available. There was, however, one small but very significant catch.
The woman in reservations said that all of their rooms (except for their penthouse suite, which went for a whopping $1,200 a night) had either a king- or queen-sized bed, and there was no way to guarantee one or the other until we checked in.Mondrian Soho king room.jpg
Now, it may sound prissy, but the fact is that my husband and I have been sleeping in a king-sized bed at home for three decades now, and when we go on vacation, about the last thing that we’re inclined to do is downsize. We wanted a king, and only a king.My brother Joel.jpg
Exacerbating the issue was that we had been invited over to my brother’s house for a barbecue the evening that we were due to check in, so we might not get to our hotel until late that night. And after my husband nagged me one too many times about calling the hotel again to try to guarantee that we got that king bed, I didn’t have a panic attack. I simply decided to phone the hotel, cancel the reservation, and stay elsewhere.Mondrian Soho our room.JPG
Not so fast, declared a woman named Jocelyn at the Mondrian Soho’s front desk. Before I could cancel, she proposed a solution. She would not only guarantee us a king bed, but also lock us into a room upgrade. No, make that a double upgrade, changing us from a standard room to a deluxe corner room on a high floor far from the elevators.
It wasn’t just an offer I couldn’t refuse. It was exactly what I’d wanted all along.
It was also only the first of many windfalls that would fall our way over that weekend.My nephew Charlie.jpg
We spent a wonderful day at my brother’s on Long Island visiting not only with him and my sister-in-law Karen, but also our son Aidan, his girlfriend Kaitlin and our nephew Charlie, who was in for a rare trip from Berkeley, CA, where he is attending law school.
I must say that I was happy to have locked into that deluxe room, though, because by the time we had driven to the city through heavy traffic, it was already after 11 p.m.Mondrian Soho bar scene.jpg
To my amazement, we found a free parking space right across the street from the hotel which was good until Monday morning.
To my delight, the hotel was just as stylish and whimsically furnished as the Delano, although the brisk bar scene made me wonder if we belonged there. (Somehow, mingling with the young and the beautiful doesn't make me feel young and beautiful. It makes me feel old and frumpy.)Harlan eating gelato at Ferrara's.JPG
But after checking in quickly, we wandered into nearby Little Italy, where we treated ourselves to a midnight snack of mouth-watering gelato at Ferrara’s bakery.Mondrian Soho view from our window.JPG
And when we returned to our gorgeous deluxe room, decorated exquisitely in shades of pristine white and royal blue, I nearly swooned at the sweeping view of the twinkling city skyline, complete with the Empire State and Chrysler buildings all aglow. Then I fell into that spacious, comfy, king-sized bed, and that’s the last that I remember.Mondrian Soho breakfast room.JPG
The so-called continental breakfast to which we were entitled turned out to be one of the most ample and classiest buffets we have ever had. Served in the chi-chi Isola Trattoria and Crudo Bar in the Mondrian’s lobby – a cavernous glass-enclosed dining room hung with cascading chandeliers – it boasted everything from mini croissants, pains au chocolats and other pastries to fresh fruit salad, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and the very best Greek yogurt and home-made granola I have ever had in my life.Mondrian Soho Greek yogurt and granola.JPG
Although there was also the option to order such delicacies off the menu as Nutella- Stuffed French Toast with blueberries and ginger mascarpone ($17) or Eggs Benedict with Charred Leek Biscuit and Hollandaise ($17, or $20 with smoked salmon), after helping ourselves to the buffet repeatedly, we couldn’t have downed another bite.
We decided to work off brunch in the fitness room, followed by a little shopping. But I barely managed to walk a block before wandering into an alluring jewelry store from which I was unable to leave.Seasonal Whispers vest on Courtney.JPG
I’m not in the habit of buying myself expensive jewelry. But my husband wanted to get me something special for our anniversary, and the prices at Seasonal Whispers (31 Howard St. or seasonalwhispers.com) were surprisingly reasonable, and the unique styles too special to resist.
It was an added bonus to learn that all of the jewelry there was designed by a mother-daughter team originally from Israel named Esther Lixenberg and Yafit Goldfarb.
But what truly sold me on these delicate and inventive creations was how weightless they felt to wear. I was tempted at first by an unbelievably cool “vest” for $80 made of 24k gold-plated chains being modeled by the vivacious salesgirl, Courtney, who’d gone to college with Yafit’s daughter Tyler, a third-generation jewelry designer herself.Seasonal Whispers loop bracelet.jpg
Then there was the ultra cool “hand chain” in 24k plated gold that you looped around your middle finger, extended down the back of your hand, and wound gracefully around your wrist.Seasonal Whispers bracelet I bought.JPG    
Yet I finally settled instead on a novel accordion-style “wraplet” bracelet made of stainless steel wire and 24k gold plating, set with Swarovski crystals ($73.60). It felt so light and airy around my wrist that I would have forgotten I had it on had those teeny brilliant crystals not kept catching the light.Harlan in red sunglasses at Opening Ceremony.JPG
Now it was my turn to find a special gift for my husband. In a trendy boutique next door called Opening Ceremony, he found a pair of red sunglasses. It was love at first sight. For him, anyway. I thought they looked a little too special and insisted we move on.
We spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around the area enjoying Soho. And before we knew it, it was time to hop a subway up to the original scene of the sublime.
The Water Club, that is, where I had booked us a sentimental journey for dinner.The Water Club dining room.jpg
When we had begun searching for a venue at which to tie the knot, The Water Club had been the very first place we visited. I’m not sure that I believe in love at first sight; as I confessed recently, when my husband first appeared at my door to take me out on a blind date, I thought he was cute, but mostly the most nervous person I’d ever met.Pattie and Harlan at our wedding kissing.JPG
The Water Club, however, was another story. For me, that was love at first sight. And although we continued searching for several months, nowhere else ever compared, and we finally realized that when it came to pitching a chupa and saying our vows, this classy eatery on East 30th Street overlooking the East River was the only place for us.
It was hard to believe that 30 years had passed since we had last walked through its doors. But the moment that we did, the momentousness of what had happened there hit me.Our wedding with our parents.JPG
No, let me be honest. It was way more than that. Soon after the maitre d’ seated us side-by-side at a large round table overlooking the water, my husband excused himself to go to the men’s room. That’s when it hit me – right in the gut – kind of like a Mack truck.
The last time we’d been there, on July 15, 1984, we had posed following the ceremony for all sorts of pictures with my mother, my father, and my mother-in-law. None of those people were alive any longer. But sitting there, I could see their faces. And feel their presence. The room was filled with memories. But also full of ghosts.champagne in flutes.jpg
And sitting at that big table all by myself, I couldn’t begin to fight back another river. A river of tears, that is.Harlan and Pattie at the Water Club with Champagne
Moments later, I looked up to see my husband returning, followed by the maitre d’, who was cradling two slender flute glasses fizzing audibly with golden Champagne. I had mentioned both the wedding and anniversary when I had reserved the table online, and the bubbly was on the house.The Water Club special dessert.JPG
Not wanting to appear ungrateful, I managed to flash a big smile when our waiter snapped us. And then to flash yet another one when at the end of the meal – which was uniformly scrumptious, from our shared appetizers of fried artichokes and a beet salad to my grilled salmon – our waiter appeared with a special anniversary dessert, also provided gratis.Fried artichokes at The Water Club.JPG
It was reassuring to discover how good the food was, even 30 years later, since at our wedding we had been busy making the rounds and dancing, and barely had gotten to eat a bite.Buzzy O'Keefe at The Water Club.jpg
It was also thrilling to be introduced on our way out to owner Buzzy O’Keefe, the famed restaurateur who’d created the club, as well as Brooklyn’s legendary River Café.
But I decided not to take our waiter up on his kind offer to bring us into the banquet room in which our wedding reception had been held. It felt overwhelming enough to be back on the premises and to view the balcony in the lobby on which we’d been snapped with our many ushers and bridesmaids. I didn’t have the heart to face any more ghosts.Our wedding party on The Water Club balcony.JPG
Besides, we were running late for the next segment of the evening that I’d planned.
If there is one thing that my husband and I enjoy even more than hanging out in Soho, it’s going to the theater. Unfortunately, most shows on Sundays are matinees. But that didn’t mean we were out of luck.
The New York Musical Theatre Festival had just kicked off a few days earlier, and it had several productions running that night. NYMF, as it's known for short, is an annual series that since 2004 has spawned such resounding successes as Next to Normal and Altar Boyz.New York Musical Theatre Festival logo.jpg
It was presenting 24 new musicals through July 27, with all tickets priced at $25 or less. The one I had chosen for us to attend was a musical comedy called ValueVille, with book, music and lyrics by someone named Rowen Casey.ValueVille logo.jpg
In this surreal creation, a young fellow named Eddie with a newly minted MFA from NYU takes a temporary job at ValueVille, a superstore that makes Walmart look classy. But on his very first night, he learns that he is doomed to serve out a life sentence in this retail hellhole under the thumb of a demonic boss and alongside a cast of cantankerous coworkers, including Sharonda (a larger than life, bad-ass black girl), Stacy (a skanky bimbo whose idea of discourse is spewing the plots of B movies), and Meg, a tormented former flame who remains overwrought over the loss of Eddie’s affections.ValueVille full cast.jpg
Being just a nice Jewish mom, I cannot claim to have entirely understood all of the proceedings, which seemed to me to have some sort of basis in Christian theology. Why were these eccentric characters doomed to an eternity inside a cheesy box store, where a pregnant shopper had her baby permanently packed on board and customers could never check out? And what was Eddie’s deceased, batty grandmother doing there? Were they stuck in a bargain-basement Purgatory? Or had they gone straight to hell?ValueVille Sharonda's song.jpg
Also, why, when they finally rid themselves of their fearless leader’s dictatorship, did everyone desperately want him back? Was it just a matter of preferring the devil you know? Or is it the human condition to need someone in charge, no matter how evil?
Who knows? All I can say is that we thoroughly enjoyed all 90 minutes of this spirited, uplifting, and highly energetic production and were very sorry to see it end.
In fact, within the hour, I found myself to be very sorry about this indeed.
We took a series of subways back down to Soho and arrived a little past 11, only to remember that our car needed to be moved before we went to bed because street parking was prohibited on our block after 8 a.m. Monday.No parking Monday thru Friday.jpg
I wanted to go find a parking lot right away. My husband, however, insisted on going up to our hotel room first to put down his heavy backpack and change his shirt. He was convinced that this would take only 5 minutes. I knew it would take 20.
And it did.
Then we went back down to find parking. I was beat and it was late, so I just wanted to locate the nearest garage and be done with it. After 30 years of marriage, though, I knew that my frugal husband all but refuses to pay for parking, and he was not about to make an exception, even when we were there to celebrate our 30th anniversary.
With me behind the wheel, he demanded that we drive around the neighborhood slowly while trying to read the parking signs on every block. They all said roughly the same thing, though. (No parking Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
So I kept driving, and driving, and thanks to the labyrinthine, cobblestone streets of Soho – which all have names like Crosby, Grand, and Lafayette instead of easy-to-navigate numbers like the ones further uptown -- we were soon completely lost.No parking during school hours.jpg
Eventually, we found a block with several empty spaces amid a few parked cars. However, all of these spaces were situated in front of a public school, and a sign indicated that there was no parking after 8 a.m. on school days.
My husband insisted that I pull into one of these, clearly euphoric to have found it. After reading the sign, however, which he’d bounded out to examine closely, I asked him to get back into the car because I wasn’t convinced that it was legal to park there.
“There’s no school tomorrow. It’s summer!” he barked when I remained obstinate.
Maybe there was, and maybe there wasn’t. There might be a summer session, I countered, and we might not only get a ticket, but also be towed. Why take a chance?My husband was very annoyed.jpg
What followed was a brief but quite colorful altercation in which my husband grew extremely red in the face and made many references to how stupid and annoying I was.
And no doubt I made more than my share of rather unflattering remarks in return.
Of course, I was in the driver’s seat in this case, both literally and figuratively. Being a nice Jewish mom, I’m someone who always errs on the side of caution. That school bore a big banner talking about the meals it was providing during the summer. There was no way I was going to throw caution to the wind and leave my car out front.
So finally my husband had no choice but to scramble back in, still sputtering. Then we proceeded to drive around the neighborhood, still bickering and still basically lost.Parking garage.jpg
Eventually, we found a public lot which was charging $38 for 24 hours. Given that we’d found free parking the night before, not to mention our double room upgrade and being treated to free Champagne and dessert, I thought we should spring for it.
He didn’t.
We continued to drive around instead looking for someplace, if not free, then cheaper. And suddenly the dark skies opened up. It wasn’t just raining. It was a deluge. I’m talking about a downpour like Noah and the flood. (At last, a Biblical reference I got!)Noah and the Flood.jpg
To our relief, we finally found a garage that was only charging $24 overnight. But despite a couple of empty spots, the surly Asian attendant declared that they were full.
The upshot was that we ended up driving around lost and in the dark and torrential rain for over an hour in total, only to finally return to the original parking lot that cost $38. And even with a pair of umbrellas, we got seriously soaked walking back to our hotel.
It was now 12:30 a.m. And never mind that it was our 30th anniversary. Nor that we had shelled out for a fancy hotel, a romantic waterside dinner, and theater tickets. I crawled into that king-size bed shivering and miserable and said that I wanted a divorce.
Who knows? Maybe I was right the first time, when I wouldn’t come out 30 years ago. Yet 30 years later, my husband knows how to calm me down and warm me up.
And the next morning we woke up to that wonderful complimentary breakfast again.Chagall in Soho.JPG
Then we looked at some art, shopped some more for sunglasses, and drove back to Connecticut by nightfall so we could celebrate our actual anniversary the next day…Pattie with flowers on 30th anniversary.JPG
At which point my husband brought me a bouquet of flowers… And finally gave me the gold Star of David charm that he had bought for me in May and safely put away.
I gave him assorted hazzerai too, then cooked him a delicious three-course meal served with wine and another special dessert (heart-shaped brownies with vanilla bean ice cream and my famous homemade hot fudge).Pattie with Star of David pendant.JPG Now, that's a gift.
Who knows? Maybe marriage is hell. Or maybe at times it is a purgatory from which we cannot seem to escape “till death do us part.”
But when as a bride you choose to come out, you have to deal with the outcome.
Sometimes, to be perfectly frank, even after 30 years, I wonder what my husband and I are doing together. But our friends Pat and Michael gave us an anniversary card on which they listed a whole lot of random things that they believe we have in common.Harlan and Pattie at our wedding.jpg
This included late nights, tennis, Purim, and TV, along with jazz and being Jewish.
They also mentioned books, New York City, and mothers. (Who doesn’t have a mother?) As well as sex. (Who doesn’t have sex?)
But they didn’t even get to any of the really big things that link us eternally and irreparably – not just love of Soho, theater, and trendy hotels, but our son and daughter.
And Latke, of course.Harlan and Pattie at The Water Club.JPG
I still don’t know about love at first sight. But I do know about love after 30 years.
And all I can say is that despite the parking debacle, it was a damn nice weekend. So maybe it’s good that I came out, eventually. And maybe, given another 30 years, eventually we’ll get it right.

2:58 pm 

Friday, July 11, 2014

A Word From the Weiss
Pattie good and otherwise.jpg
        As a reader of this blog, you are kind of a first responder. OK, so maybe I don’t get a whole lot of responses. No, let’s be honest. I don’t get any. Readers I have. Feedback from them? Not so much. But I keep writing, every week, and that makes you among the chosen few who are privy to new developments in my life, both good and otherwise.
And this past week has produced many such events, both good and otherwise.
I’ll get to the good. But first… the “otherwise.”
I don’t know whether it was due to the oppressive heat and humidity in the air – it seems much too eerie to be mere coincidence – but last week, several people I know had heart attacks or other such health scares momentous enough to land them in the hospital. This all happened within the same 24-hour period, and it truly left me stunned.Emergency.jpg
I’m sorry to be so vague about the details and identities of these friends and relatives, but I’m not convinced that their personal health concerns are mine to divulge. My life may be an open blog, but that doesn’t give me the privilege to babble to you about theirs.
Except for my children, of course. They are good sports and let me do my thing, good or otherwise. And I’m happy to have mostly good things to report about them.
You may be eager to hear about the start of my daughter’s adventures in Hong Kong. I’ll get to that in a sec. But first, let me fill you in on the exciting adventures of my son.Aidan in Mexico2.jpg
As a jazz journalist, Aidan was offered a so-called “junket” by JazzTimes magazine – an all-expenses-paid trip to Mexico last week to cover a jazz festival in Guadalajara.
Being a nice Jewish mom, I tried to be excited for him and say, “How wonderful!” But what came out of my mouth was more along the lines of “Mexico? Why do you want to go there? Isn’t it hot enough for you here?” And, “What if you get food poisoning?!?”
I quickly followed this up with cautionary advice like, "Just don’t drink the water!”Aidan in Mexico.jpg
In all fairness to me, I’ve never been to Mexico (other than for a quick jaunt over the border to Tijuana once while we were in Southern California). But Aidan has been further south and he did get food poisoning that time, severe enough to land him in the hospital.
Still, I’m happy to report that he ignored my hysterical admonitions and just spent five lovely days there with his girlfriend Kaitlin. And they not only lived to tell about, but enjoyed it thoroughly (in part thanks to my admonitions. They did not drink the water… or land in the hospital).Aidan and Kaitlin in Mexico.jpg
As for Allegra, I’m happy to report that she landed safely last week in Hong Kong.Allegra promo photo 13.jpg
As I have related, she was hired to sing at the Four Seasons Hotel there for three months starting July 1. And after she endured a 16-hour flight to a city where she didn’t know a soul, I feared that she might get off to a rocky start.
So it was reassuring to learn that she got off instead to a “Lochy” start.The Flying Pan Hong Kong.jpg
This is not a malapropism, or some kind of awful, politically incorrect remark (along the lines of a popular restaurant Allegra soon discovered there called The Flying Pan). Rather, Allegra happened to be seated on the plane next to a very pleasant young man from Scotland named Lochy (short for Lochland) who had studied for a semester at Hong Kong University and was now returning there to do an internship in finance.Lochy and friends.jpg
        He chatted with her throughout the lengthy flight, and upon arrival helped her with her rather abundant luggage. He then joined her for dinner that night, took her to some clubs, and gave her the lay of the land.
Sadly, she has barely seen him since, although this appears to possibly have been the result of phone complications and a series of missed connections.
ily, we have been experiencing no such problems communicating with her ourselves. When Allegra departed for parts unknown, I feared that I wouldn’t get to see or hear from her nearly as much as usual. But the opposite has proven to be true.
The most economical way for us to converse with her while she’s in Asia is on FaceTime. This feature on our iPhones can only be used when we both have WiFi. It is absolutely free, however.
It also allows us not just to hear each other’s voices, but to converse face to face. Every time she dials and I answer, her face pops up on my screen, and mine on hers.
To be honest, though, the face she has shown us has not always been beaming.Allegra's king suite in Hong Kong.jpg
Yes, there was some initial excitement when she first viewed the accommodations in which the hotel had arranged to house her for her first two weeks. (She’s scheduled to move on Sunday to a nearby apartment, in which they will put her up for the duration.)
She quickly posted photos on Facebook of her immense luxury suite, complete with a king-sized bed, sitting area, flat-screen TV and ultra-modern marble-lined bathroom.
“Yup. I think I’m gonna like it here!!!” she wrote. “Hong Kong is AMAZING!!!”
She was equally delighted to discover that she was allowed to use all of the hotel’s facilities, including the spa, which boasts a gorgeous infinity pool, hot tub, and sauna.The Four Seasons infinity pool.jpg
But within a short time, issues began to bubble up, both minor and not-so-much.
        She was completely exhausted and physically discombobulated by the time change, struggling to adapt her sleeping and eating schedules to the 12-hour time difference.dumplings.jpg
As for eating, she discovered that the only food she could find consisted mostly of noodles and dumplings, and that these were inordinately salty and heavily dosed with MSG, which was making her feel even more exhausted, not to mention ill.
Even more troubling was what happened when she began rehearsing with the band.
At least this produced one pleasant surprise. When she first met the other musicians, she learned that Bob, their keyboard player, was also from Connecticut.Bob in Hong Kong.jpg
“That’s crazy! Where?” she asked. He said that he was from Hartford.
“You’re kidding. I’m from West Hartford!” she exclaimed.
“Oh,” he replied. “Well, actually, I’m from West Hartford too.”
 There she was, halfway around the globe, being accompanied by a guy who had grown up in our own little town. But when they began to play, she discovered how far from home she was.
She told us her throat was bothering her and that her voice was far from normal.
“I can’t sing!” she declared.Allegra's promo sign.JPG
        When singers strain their voices for an extended period of time, there is a danger of their
developing nodes, or nodules, or some sort of calluses on their vocal cords. She worried that this might already be happening to her.
I looked up the air quality in Hong Kong and was horrified to read all sorts of alarming statistics about the pollution there. One story claimed it was three times as bad as New York's and twice as bad as London's. Who knew?
We had been under the misguided impression that the air was only bad in Beijing. Here I’d been, warning my son about the water in Mexico. Little did I know that we should have been hocking my daughter about Hong Kong instead. But what could I say – don’t breathe?Gas masks in Hong Kong.jpg
My husband began hounding her to buy a gas mask to wear outdoors there. She said that no one else was wearing masks, though, and to get a grip; neither would she.
Meanwhile, I began to worry about another less pressing but undeniable problem.
        Allegra sounded lonely.
As exciting as it was for her to travel to so exotic a locale, it also seemed a little sad for her to be so far away from home on the Fourth of July. But surely there were ex-patriots abroad who were observing Independence Day, even in Hong Kong, I ventured.
“Yes, but how am I supposed to find them?” she asked.
“Easy,” I replied. And even though she was there and I was here, I Googled “Fourth of July celebrations in Hong Kong” and found three good options in TimeOut.Fourth of July feast.jpg
I hastened to text her the names and addresses of a trio of eateries serving hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, and other traditional fare. Then I sat around feeling very good about myself until I heard back later that day.
“I just spent an hour looking for one of those places," she said, only to arrive and discover it was a dive.
Oh, well. I’d tried.Allegra's hamburger in Hong Kong.jpg
But then she found a nice café that was serving burgers. They looked pretty darn delicious to me.
soon enough, the fun was over. No time to search out fireworks. It was time to dress for her first singing gig that night.
With the 12-hour time difference, that night began early in the morning for us. When I woke up a little past 8 a.m., I realized that she had just gone onstage.
During her first break, I begged her to send me a selfie, and she promptly obliged.Allegra in Hong Kong gig 1.JPG
etter yet, she then got the manager to take a photo of the whole band in action.Allegra'a first gig in Hong Kong.jpg
I didn’t hear from her again until the show was over at 1 a.m. Jet lag or not, she had just crooned through five grueling hour-long sets in high heels.
“Soooooooooooooooo tired,” she wrote. “I can hardly keep my eyes open.”
The job requires her to sing only twice a week, on Fridays and Saturdays, but these are long nights. And the next that we heard, she was already dressed up for round two.Allegra in Hong Kong gig 2.JPG
Convinced that one of the reasons she’d been so pooped the first night was that she had neglected to eat dinner beforehand, I noodged her to make sure she did this time.
        Once again, s
o much for my good advice.
Whatever she had eaten at the employee cafeteria did not quite agree with her digestion.Octopus and pork shoulder.jpg
Never mind the excess salt and MSG. One dish they had served her was pork shoulder with octopus. Another was some sort of gray meatloaf... or fish loaf... She couldn’t quite tell which.Mystery loaf in Hong Kong.jpg
        Perhaps Hong Kong’s answer to gefilte fish?
And as beat as she felt after she was done, she woke up and phoned us in the middle of the night, convinced that she was about to heave.
But she finally fell back to sleep, and when she woke up again, it had passed.
“I’m alive!” she wrote.
Indeed, she’d survived her trial by fire (and octopus and MSG) and now had a week to rest up until she sang again. And over the ensuing days, things seemed to improve.JP eating gelato.jpg
Although there was still no sign of Lochy (had he gone back to Loch Lomond?), she now had a new companion named JP. A college classmate of our family friend Tom, JP had grown up in Hong Kong and just returned after many years to find work. But while he was job hunting, he had plenty of spare time to spend with Allegra.Allegra happy in Hong Kong.JPG
They went out for lunch. They went out for dinner.
        They went to a movie, an art exhibit, and even for a foot massage.
        He knew his way around, and he totally knew the lingo.
So suddenly we began hearing from her much less, and when we did she was much happier.
Typical was the evening that she phoned with a radiant grin on her face. I wondered what could have made her so gleeful. “Have you been drinking?” I asked.Deutz Champagne.jpg
        Apparently so.
        And not just drinking. What she’d been drinking was Champagne.
The hotel management had abruptly asked her to pack up all of her things in the middle of that afternoon, just as she’d been heading out for the day. They needed her room for a paying guest and said that they would move her elsewhere.Allegra's Four Seasons apartment.jpg
She felt just a bit peeved until she got a gander at what they meant by “elsewhere.” It was an even more spacious suite in Four Seasons Place, an apartment building adjoining the hotel. Situated on the 49th floor, it had a spectacular view of the nearby mountains and the city skyline… and a fully equipped kitchen complete with dishwasher, stove and microwave.Allegra's Four Seasons apartment bedroom.jpg
And they still sent up a bottle of Champagne to compensate for her inconvenience.
So she invited JP and their friend Tommy for dinner and, yes, to drink the Champagne.Hong Kong skyline.jpg
“This is my apartment!” she crowed euphorically. “Are you looking at this? I live here!”
        But best of all, “I’m so happy to have made some food that didn’t have MSG!”
The next afternoon, she called to relate an unusual anecdote.
Before meeting JP for the afternoon, she had gone into a local eatery for lunch.Hong Kong hole in the wall.jpg
This tiny place offered only four choices: noodle soup with beef, noodle soup with fish balls, noodle soup with wontons, or noodle soup with beef, fish balls, and wontons.Hong Kong noodle soup with beef and fish balls.jpg
It was also so small a place that if you sat down by yourself, a complete stranger might sit down at the same little table opposite you. And so she was soon joined by another woman. They both had ordered the noodle soup with the works -- beef, fish balls and wontons. And Allegra soon found herself imitating everything that the other woman did, from the manner in which she held her spoon to the way she placed her chopsticks.Chinese woman eating noodle soup.jpg
“I’ve gotten the impression that there’s a right way and a wrong way to do almost everything here,” she explained, “and I wanted to make sure I was doing it all right.” For example, “If you place your chopsticks in a certain way, it’s disrespectful,” she said.
“Disrespectful?” I asked. “Even to a complete stranger?”
“I have no idea,” she replied.
One thing that she did know was that when you pay for anything in Hong Kong, you’re required to fork over the bills using both hands.Hong Kong waitress.jpg
Unfortunately, after Allegra had ordered her meal there, she’d discovered that the place didn’t accept credit cards. Having no cash on hand, she’d tried to cancel her order and leave. But the only waitress who spoke a bit of English wouldn’t hear of it.
“You stay and eat!” the woman ordered her. “You eat NOW!”
She demanded that Allegra enjoy her soup while it was still piping hot. So she did.
“I left the restaurant after eating to get some money,” she explained with a laugh, “and it took me awhile to find an ATM.” This sort of thing had only happened to her once in all her years in NYC, and that was at a diner where she ate so often that they knew her name.
And as foreign as she still felt here, this helped her begin to feel a little more at home.Allegra in Hong Kong gig 3.JPG
Then just this morning, I awoke to realize that it was already Friday night in Hong Kong and she was singing her first set. I got a text at 9 a.m., when she took her first break.
“Killing it tonight!” she wrote. “And having FUN!”
        At last.
Evidently, she’s back. That is, she’s got her mojo back. Not to mention her voice. What a relief! As they say, no nodes is good nodes.
But God only nodes what will happen next.
Whatever. In life, you have to take the noodles with the beef, wontons and fish balls. That is, the good with the “otherwise.” And for now, everything is otherwise OK.
5:05 pm 

Friday, July 4, 2014

A Word From the Weiss

Pattie in Rose Garden at Elizabeth Park.JPG        Normally, I try to keep my ruminations and reflections in this space relatively light. You get enough tsuris in your own life, God knows, let alone from watching the evening news. Yet this past week has failed to yield my usual nice Jewish comedy of errors. That is to say, it has come up extremely short in the comedy department.
As for errors? Fear not. There have been plenty. And plenty of them, of course, have been mine, all mine.
It all started, I suppose, a whole year ago, when we made reservations to spend last weekend at a lovely inn in Lenox, Massachusetts. This was certainly nothing new. On the contrary, we go to the same inn every year and have ever since I can remember.Hampton Terrace main house.jpg
As you may have noticed, “frugal” is my middle name. OK, it’s actually Sue – just plain Sue – which, paired with Pattie, makes me sound like a cheesy country singer.  Still, I tend to be a reverse snob and to take endless delight in boasting about the great bargains I find and the cheap things, like cheesy hotels, for which I am willing to settle.
But let’s face it, I also have the occasional luxuries on which I am willing to splurge, and our annual family trip to the Berkshires each June has long been chief among them.Hampton Terrace king suite 2.jpg
I hope I never grow too old or too set in my ways to not crave and relish adventure. Yet there is also something to be said for having annual traditions, beyond the holidays (Jewish and otherwise) that we celebrate each year. And going to Hampton Terrace in Lenox, MA, is one of ours. Along with being a delightful destination that we never fail to enjoy, it also evokes warm memories of the many years that we’ve gone there already.
Many of these previous excursions included my mother, who joined us there each summer without fail. Somehow, it always turned out that only one of our two kids would be able to join us, while the other was away at a camp of some sort. And the child who came would be blessed with the dubious honor of getting to bunk with Grandma Bunnie.Grandma Bunnie.jpg
Being the original block off which I am a nice Jewish chip, my mom invariably would insist on giving that youngster the better bed, claiming the saggy cot for herself.  And when we were seated with other guests for the lavish breakfast served daily, she never failed to mortify the child on hand by saying the most embarrassing things, such as when she hectored our teenage son in a “stage whisper” to fraternize with female guests his age.Garrison Keillor.jpg
We always went the same weekend every summer, because the main purpose of this trip was to attend the live broadcast of Garrison Keillor’s radio show A Prairie Home Companion, held at Tanglewood each year on the Saturday before the Fourth of July.
This was another family tradition of which we never seemed to grow weary. And after Grandma, sadly, was no longer with us, and both of our offspring had grown up and gone on to have bigger fish to fry, we didn’t even consider relinquishing that ritual. We simply began to go to the radio show with our good friends Sally and Dial instead.Prairie Home Companion at Tanglewood.jpg
Yet I still refused to give up on my basic template for the tradition, which involved our whole crew. Each year, when the tickets for Tanglewood went on sale in January and Prairie Home promptly sold out, I would buy an extra three, just hoping that our kids might join us in June and predicting that one of them might want to bring a date.Allegra promo photo 3.jpg
        And each June, when they didn't come, I would do my best to sell those tickets on Craigslist.
To my delight, Allegra had vowed to come along last weekend for the first time in many years. So I was crestfallen when she was hired to go sing in Hong Kong for three months, beginning on July 1. Not only would she not be able to make our trip after all, but we’d be away and unable to give her a proper sendoff by driving her to the airport.Aidan offered to drive her.jpg
Our son Aidan agreed to drive her instead, meaning that he wouldn’t be able to join us either. So as time went on, I began to regret not cancelling the entire trip. Never mind seeing Allegra off at the airport. I was full of angst and wracked with dread to see her go! I knew that there was no chance I would enjoy a vacation with her departure imminent. But I didn’t want to disappoint Sally and Dial, for whom we already had bought tickets.Sally and Dial at Tanglewood 2013.jpg
I know Sally and Dial – I’ve known them for nearly 30 years – and I know that what they love about going to A Prairie Home Companion each year isn’t really about going to A Prairie Home Companion. It’s about going to Prairie Home Companion with us.
Over the years, you see, we have developed our own elaborate ritual with them.Shooz in Lenox.jpg
We spend the afternoon perusing the many stylish boutiques in downtown Lenox, Sally and I shopping for shoes and so on while our husbands do a very poor rendition of acting patient… and when we can’t stand their kvetching anymore, Sally and I give up.
Then we all drive to Tanglewood and have a lavish picnic on the lawn, complete with the copious food that Sally and I have prepared and multiple bottles of wine.
Later, after the show, we repair to our room for dessert… and of course more wine.Tanglewood picnic with Sally and Dial.JPG
If we canceled out, then I knew that they could still do most of all this themselves. But I also knew that there was no chance in hell that they would.
The four tickets I’d bought had cost $57 apiece, and it was too late to sell them on Craigslist. If we didn’t go, the only ethical thing to do would be for us to pay for them all. Plus, we would sorely disappoint our good friends. So I couldn’t see just canceling out.
Then something far more urgent happened to make me want to cancel even more.
One of my uncles had been gravely ill for some time, but a week before we were due to leave, my Uncle Gerard, who was 88, took an abrupt turn for the worse.
The following day, he was put in hospice. His daughter called me the next morning to say that she didn’t believe he would live through the night. To everyone’s amazement he did anyway. But the nurses predicted he wouldn’t last more than a day or two more.Uncle Gerard and me.JPG
My Uncle Gerard was not only my late father’s brother, but only 18 months his senior, meaning that they were very close throughout their lives, and I loved him dearly.
Meanwhile, his daughter, my Cousin Susan, is only 18 months older than I am. She lives in the same town that I do, and we are about as close as cousins can be.
I couldn’t imagine going away for a fun vacation while my life was in such duress, and I couldn’t imagine going away for a little R & R while her life was one big SOS.Cousin Susan and me 2012.jpg
What’s more, if life is unpredictable, then death is even more so. There was no way to foretell when the funeral might occur. So as the week progressed, I became increasingly anxious that we wouldn’t be able to go or would have to check out early.
I also grew fearful that the funeral, which would be held in New Jersey, might be scheduled for Sunday morning (Jews can’t be buried on Saturdays), so that if we stayed in Lenox on Saturday night, we were likely to arrive late. Murphy’s Law may state that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, but as a Jew, I subscribe to Levy’s Law – essentially, that anything that can bite you in the tush is bound to bite you in the tush.Levy's Law.jpg
In this case, what if we got off to a late start? What if we got lost along the way? And what if we ran into heavy traffic, which is almost guaranteed in and around NYC?
Yet by then it was past the point where I could try to cancel in good conscience.
We had been going to the same inn for so many years that I thought the owners, Stan and Susan, might cut us some slack and let us cancel or reschedule under the circumstances.
On the other hand, I knew that they weren’t full for the weekend, and it was unlikely that they could rebook the room at this point. And we had gotten to know them so well over the years that I would have felt enormously guilty to have them be out the dough.
I also felt too awkward to confront them head-on. I simply wrote midweek to relay the news about my uncle’s condition. I said I was “terrified” that I might need to attend a funeral that weekend and to let me know if anyone materialized to reserve our room, my hope being that they would offer to let me cancel or rebook.Stan.jpg
But Stan merely replied to say that he was sorry to hear about it and that he would keep me posted if someone else called to book our room.
“Maybe you will still be able to come,” he assured me. “Let's keep in touch.”
I never heard back from him again, though. Meanwhile, I kept in touch with my cousin, who anticipated that each day might be her father's last. But he lasted through the week.
So on Friday, I reluctantly packed up my suitcase, as well as our picnic provisions.Stuie and Gerard young.jpg
I also decided to bring along a small display of old photographs showing my uncle in much better days. I found one of him with my father when they were each 20 or so, younger than my kids are now. Another captured him and my dad dressed in formal attire, beaming broadly at my parents’ wedding, for which my uncle served as best man.Uncle Gerard and Stuie at my parents' wedding.JPG
By the time we left for Lenox, I wasn’t just reluctant to go. I was sobbing loudly.
Never mind the money that would have gone to waste. Why hadn’t I canceled out?Hampton Terrace Atticus in foyer.jpg
We arrived only to learn that over the winter, Atticus, the inn’s resident dog who had been loved by all – especially us – had reached the age of 14 and they had been obliged to put him down.
I sobbed again.
Then we spent much of the evening conferring with family members about possible funeral arrangements. I needed to alert some other cousins about what was imminent.
I heard from my Cousin Susan late that night that my uncle had just passed away. Then it was time to really cry.
She called again the next morning to report that the funeral would be on Sunday after all, and would start at noon.Temple Emanu-El.jpg
Perhaps we should have decided at that point to go home right away. Or to go home that night after the show. But the fact was that the temple in New Jersey, where the funeral would be held, was an estimated 2 hours and 45 minutes away from our house and only 15 minutes further away from Lenox. If we got an early start, we could stay and still make it. And even if we left, I assumed we’d still have to pay for the room.
        And by now it was really too late to cancel on our friends, and much too late to cancel out on the innkeepers. So I decided to not only stay, but to try to put on a good face for the rest of the day and do my best to not ruin the experience for everyone else.
There is indeed something to be said for having good friends and rituals you enjoy. Having Sally and Dial arrive was in many ways a wonderful distraction from my grief.Sally and Dial in 2012.jpg
Then again, when you’re in the throes of anguish over the death of someone you love, about the last thing you want to do is have to pretend that you’re having the time of your life so as not to disturb anyone else.Sally's veggie salad.JPG
We did our shopping and then had our sumptuous picnic supper, complete with a gorgeous vegetable salad that Sally had prepared and our customary array of libations.The Wailin' Jennys.jpg
Then we proceeded into the massive Koussevitzky Shed at Tanglewood, where the show was just getting underway. Keillor was up to his usual lively yet irreverent antics, singing and dishing out heartwarming tales and homespun humor along with his usual entourage and lineup of special guests – including, as is part of his Tanglewood ritual, two girls’ singing groups, the DiGiallonardo Sisters and the Wailin’ Jennys.DiGiallonardo Sisters with Keillor.jpg
But in my state of distress, I found my mind wandering, and the only detail that still sticks with me now relates to a skit in which one of the characters was a diva with such an extreme allergy to almonds that she’d once gone into anaphylactic shock when someone arrived with an Allman Brothers’ CD in the glove compartment of their car.
I kept trying to force myself to enjoy it, as long as we were there. But the truth is that you can’t will yourself to be happy any more than you can will yourself to be in love.Dial Sally and me in Lenox.JPG
Afterwards, Sally and Dial came back to our room for apple pie and ice cream, and I perked up a bit while showing them Allegra’s glamorous new publicity shots on my computer. But they left much earlier than usual, and then we were still up until 1 a.m. packing everything into the car.
I didn’t want to risk leaving anything till morning.
And of course I barely slept a wink, worrying that I might sleep through the alarm.Stan  at Hampton Terrace.jpg
When we stopped into the dining room on our way out on Sunday, Stan, the owner, went out of his way helping us pack up some eggs, toast, and coffee and a bowl of his famous grits to go. But as I hurried through the front door balancing this booty, I somehow failed to control myself when he called after me brightly, “See you next year!”
“Maybe,” I retorted with an unmistakable grimace. “The fact is that forgetting this weekend is going to take me a long, long time.”
He responded with a stunned look, but I was in much too big a hurry to explain.
Our directions from Mapquest turned out to be fekakta, of course, and sent us 15 miles out of our way. Then we threw our fate to Siri. Equally perilous. But by some miracle, we managed to arrive at the temple by 11:50, with 10 minutes to spare.Susan.jpg
My cousin delivered a eulogy so moving and sincere that I sobbed through every second.Cousin Michael.jpg
        Then her brother, my cousin Michael, offered his own poignant remarks, stating how proud he was to have been his father’s son.
        He described how my uncle had been a war hero – given both the Purple Heart and a medal for bravery after being wounded in World War II – as well as an incomparable athlete and eminently talented performer.The King and I image.jpg
Indeed, when I was a child, the entire family had turned out regularly to attend his many community theater performances in such classic musicals as The King and I (in which he, of course, played the king) South Pacific, and Guys & Dolls (in which he truly brought down the house as Nicely-Nicely Johnson belting out, “Sit Down, You’re Rocking the Boat.”Uncle Gerard Motzi at Allegra's bat mitzvah.JPG
I’m sorry that I don’t have any photos of him in these memorable performances. But he was equally famous within the family for crooning a truly magnificent Motzi (the blessing over the challah bread) at each and every simcha (celebration) anyone held, and I have plenty of shots capturing this at my children’s bar and bat mitzvahs. 
        Military funeral folding of flag.jpg
It was both heartbreaking and uplifting when everyone proceeded to the cemetery to discover that my cousin had arranged for my uncle to be given the honorable military burial he deserved, complete with a haunting rendition of “Taps” and two uniformed servicemen respectfully performing the ritual of folding the American flag that had been draped over his casket.Deli platter.jpg
During the shiva observed back at my aunt’s house over a lavish spread of corned beef, pastrami, and other deli meats (along with potato salad and kosher pickles), it was also heartwarming to catch up with many cousins and other relatives I rarely get to see.
But then I stayed late to continue visiting after my husband left to drive our son back to the city, and I got caught in horrific Sunday evening traffic. It took me nearly three hours just to drive across the George Washington Bridge and six hours altogether to get home. I stumbled into my house just before midnight, utterly exhausted, and passed out on the living room sofa still wearing my funeral clothes.George Washington Bridge traffic.jpg
It would not only take me a long time to forget that weekend, as I had said to Stan. It would take me the whole week to recover.
Meanwhile, I wrote to him the very next day. I wanted to explain my parting comment, lest he fear I had found his services somehow lacking. I also wanted to explain why he might not see us next year.
“You probably did not have any way of intuiting this,” I wrote, “but there was barely a moment during the entire weekend when I could enjoy myself or begin to relax.”
I went on to explain how was tense and sad I had felt about Allegra’s departure for Hong Kong, and how guilty I’d felt not to be able to drive her to the airport and see her one last time. As for the funeral, I’d been a nervous wreck and ashamed to be living in luxury while my cousin grappled with her father’s death and funeral arrangements.
“Despite your usual hospitality, the weekend was, in a word, a nightmare,” I concluded. “I don't feel like I just got home from a restful vacation. I feel like I just got home from the war. I cannot imagine ever returning. But perhaps that sense will pass.”
He responded almost at once, and what he said genuinely shocked me.
“I am sorry you had a stressful weekend,” he wrote. “It is easy to understand why.”Stan said he understood.jpg
What I had taken to be astonishment on his face at my parting words, however, had merely been a look of mystification because he hadn’t heard a word that I’d said.
And that was far from the only instance in which we had failed to communicate.
He said that he had been prepared for us not to come, or to leave after only one day. “Since you are such a loyal guest, I would not have charged you for either night,” he said. “That is money right out of our pockets, but I know you wanted to come. And since you never said you were not coming – just that you might have to go to New Jersey at a moment's notice – I did not bring up what we would do if you had to cancel.”
So I guess there were many errors over the past week, and as I said most of them were mine. If I could do it all over again, there is little that I would have done the same. But perhaps that means there are lessons to be learned here – lessons for us all.
I learned that I must follow my gut; if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
I learned that honesty really is the best policy, including honesty with yourself.Let's be honest.JPG
But most of all, I learned once again – and, once again, the hard way – that you can’t expect people to know what you want unless you come right out and tell them. And if there’s something that you really want, you need to come right out and ask for it. (The worst that you can probably be told is no, but they also might very well say yes.)
Dial and Sally are good friends, and if we’d canceled, even last-minute, they would have understood. (They are good friends largely because they would have understood.)
And Stan clearly would have accommodated us too, even if it meant losing a good deal of money on our pricey accommodations. He is the mensch I thought he was. “If we see you next year, great,” he concluded. “Otherwise, thanks for your loyal patronage.”Uncle Gerard with me at Allegra's bat mitzvah.jpg
And even if he'd lost a big chunk of change on us last weekend, that probably would have been in his best interests in the long run. Just think of all the years to come when we might stay elsewhere now, or might simply choose to stay home. Because if and when we go again, looming over all those fun times with Grandma and all of the good déjà vu will be memories of Allegra leaving for Hong Kong and our losing my dear Uncle Gerard.
Then again, time heals all wounds, as they say. Or at least it heals most of them. Maybe by next year I will be craving another dose of Keillor and another bowl of grits.
Or maybe it’s time to pursue some new adventures and experiences, after all.
Meanwhile, I am more than ready to return to comedy again. Seriously. Aren’t you?

5:02 pm 

Archive Newer | Older

That's me. The redhead on the right. But that is NOT my baby.

     No, sir, that's not my baby. How could any mother smile beatifically while her own child wailed? Never mind that neither of my offspring ever cried so plaintively, as far as I recall (not while I was there to nurture them through their every perceptible need... although my son still complains that I often dressed him in garish and girlish color schemes, scarring him FOR LIFE).
     Besides, I'm distinctly beyond prime delivery age ("Kitchen's closed!" as my mother might say), and my kids had departed the diaper stage by the dawn of the Clinton Administration. Now in their 20s, both are currently living on their own, in not-too-distant cities, although each manages to phone me daily. In fact, to be exact, several times a day, then sometimes text me, too. (That may sound excessive, and emotionally regressive, but I subscribe to the Jewish mother's creed when it comes to conversing with kinder: Too much is never enough.)
     Two demanding decades spent raising two kids who are kind, highly productive and multi-talented, who generally wear clean underwear (as far as I can tell), and who by all visible signs don't detest me are my main credentials for daring to dole out advice in the motherhood department.
     Presenting myself as an authority on all matters Jewish may be trickier to justify.
     Yes, I was raised Jewish and am biologically an unadulterated, undisputable, purebred Yiddisheh mama. I'm known for making a melt-in-your-mouth brisket, not to mention the world's airiest matzah balls this side of Brooklyn. My longtime avocation is writing lyrics for Purim shpiels based on popular Broadway productions, from "South Pers-cific" to "The Zion Queen." Then again, I'm no rabbi or Talmudic scholar. I can't even sing "Hatikvah" or recite the Birkat Hamazon. Raised resoundingly Reform, I don't keep kosher, can barely curse in Yiddish, and haven't set foot in Israel since I was a zaftig teen.
     Even so, as a longtime writer and ever-active mother, I think I have something to say about being Jewish and a mom in these manic and maternally challenging times. I hope something I say means something to you. Welcome to my nice Jewish world!   
In coming weeks, I will continue posting more personal observations, rants, and even recipes (Jewish and otherwise). So keep reading, come back often, and please tell all of your friends, Facebook buddies, and everyone else you know that NiceJewishMom.com is THE BOMB!
The family that eats together (and maybe even Tweets together): That's my son Aidan, me, my daughter Allegra, and Harlan, my husband for more than 26 years, all out for Sunday brunch on a nice summer weekend in New York.

Comments? Questions? Just want to kvetch? Please go to GUESTBOOK/COMMENTS.